Monday, February 11, 2008

Office – Office

I wake up from my slumber and try n shrug off the hangover. I brush my teeth, testing waters I enter my shower and tumbling and grumbling, cursing my heater I finish my bath in split seconds. Somehow, I manage to find something to wear to office from the mess in my room. Trust me no matter which day of the week, which hour of the day it is, my room looks bombed.

I withdraw the blinds and hope some sunshine to brighten my room. I get out and make a cup of tea for me, listen to my favorite songs and pack up.

Get down from the fourth floor and drawn into the crowd that is en’route office. I walk a few spaces and realize, I can’t keep pace with them. I take a deep breath and look all around. I see them. She dresses up in dark skirts, stockings and fragile white tops. She always wears a different scarf, often a bright one. He is too, dresses up like a big business honcho. Black pants with stripes and a shirt to go with it. Formal silk tie and shined black boots, gelled hair and crispy mischievous smile on his face. They, walk hand in hand up until the bridge and that is where the roads split, he holds her hand tenderly, pulls her a bit close and they kiss. Sun shining right behind them, there silhouette looks so sweet and tender. He whispers something into her ears and they head off into their directions.

I keep walking, I keep looking, I see the old granny too. She pushes the little trolley each morning. Don’t know where she goes, where she comes from but I can’t miss her.

Moms bringing there kids to the schools or kindergartens, little kids in their pushchairs, waving at any one passing by or busy with their toys. They look so innocent and I feel they look at me as if where was I headed. I do feel, where am I headed ?

I keep looking at people passing by. Right then, a guy dressed in jet black biker’s suit rushes by on his Honda. I can only catch a few glimpse if he gets the red. Otherwise it wroooom…..

I get beyond that but keep looking at the beautiful scarves women wear, those interesting hats, long coats, guys dressed in suit – holding coffee in one hand and suitcase in other, I keep walking.

Once in a while Sun winks at me through the dark Irish clouds. I still am playing invisible guitar swinging to the music on my iPod and right then someone prompts me for my Identity card and realization dawn, oops I’m in office…might as well work.

I wait for the next morning, only for this walk, only for those kids, the old lady, the couple and Sun who winks at me to wish me a good day.

You’ve a nice one too folks.

1 comment:

Gowtham Narisipalli said...

A different perspective by different people. My walk from office back to the quality hotel tracing the same footsteps every day, starting from Gasworks past the junction, over the bridge, along the edge of the lake with a cigarette in hand sometimes were one of the most memorable times I spent alone.

A good observer wid a unique perspective, have a great time!!!