Thursday, February 7, 2008

Concert – 4

I just finished working on some presentation, I wasn’t able to give my 100% and I didn’t feel any good about it. It seemed like my mind had something more important to worry about. Something that means a lot but reality seems to defy my mind.

Puffed the sadness out and tried getting a perspective, when couldn’t I called up my friend up and asked if we could go for the concert early? Courteously she said “Emm, I’m held up right now, if you would want to go ahead and down some pints go ahead or we’ll meet later.”

Right then it rang, for which I’d been waiting for so long. But, it was a talk of nothing which was destined to go from no where to nowhere. I shrug my shoulders and put on my jackets and darted out of my house.

Rushed to the concert hall and settled down with a pint in the last row. A lady dressed in delicate red top and smart jeans who sat a row in front of the one I was in, said “Feel free to come up, there are free seats.”

I smiled but stayed where I was. I couldn’t forget that glow on her face and the enthusiasm on her face. Paul Currerri was playing guitar on the stage and he was at peak in his gig. His fingers moved sleekly over the shoulder of guitar and the sound was clean and clear as a whistle. Right then, I saw the lady disappeared and Paul said “I’m playing this last one and Devon will come on to the stage.” And there she was, the same lady, the lady in red.

I was so thrilled. I felt different. Devon, picked up the guitar and strummed the cords that sounded familiar. She was playing “Honey let us go out. There is nothing in the fridge. Nothing in the cupboard, jelly jar is empty n am sick o peanut butter.” The recorded version has a touch of Jazz, but when she played it with her acoustic guitar it sounded much more tender, fresh and free flowing folk music. The lyrics were delicate and her voice sounded so innocent and unpretentious. I fell in love with her music right then. Later on she went on to play ‘Come comet or Dove’

Now, there is nothing more satisfying that hearing artist you like play the song you like and just before that artist gives the story behind the song. Devon smiled and said, “This song was written in the summer. It was the time when I was trying to impress Paul and I’d to come up with something really good. And my heart spelt out the lyrics and the chords just fell in place when I got my hands on guitar.” I watched the smile on her face and evident satisfaction on Paul’s face as he was done playing and he was sitting behind, sipping on his beer.

And when she came onto the line “Right or wrong, to him alone I come to be fed” she looked for that assurance from him from the last row and his smile said it all. And then strummed the guitar stronger and wilder and the song picked up the pace again. This concert was so different that any other I’d been to.

The highlight was, when I met Paul outside and over a beer, we talked about his album and Devon. It so appealed to here their story and how the songs evolved. A musician who fell in love with a pretty girl who loved writing her songs and playing guitar and then he dedicated his first album to her. The spark in his eyes, as he talked about music and his wife Devon was touching. I so felt if I could, I would love to dedicate one such song to –

or wrong, to her alone I come to be fed…

Listen to Devon Sproule at :

http://www.myspace.com/devonsproule


Neo

1 comment:

Sana's said...

Boy!! very vivid and it's so admirable to see musicians being their unassuming selves, reminds me of Wordsworth,
"...a violet by a mossy stone,
half-hidden from the eye,
fair as a star, when only one is shining in the sky."
Small moments, big feelings overwhelmed with love, that's the toast you can hope for...